Tuesday, October 16, 2018

ENT3003 Assignment 15A – Figuring Out Buyer Behavior No. 2


Evaluating How Your Customers Evaluate Stuff


Report the Findings and Draw Conclusions:


My three interviews were again with people that were a part of my selected segment of students with a hand-writing preference, and particularly those with a mechanical pencil preference (I did however settle for one student in my three interviews who primarily used a pen when hand-writing.) My first Interview was conducted with a 19-year-old, Female Student attending UF as a Psychology major. My second interview was with a 21-year-old Male Student that’s is studying Finance. My final interview was with a 19-year-old Female at UF attending UF’s college of nursing.

When it comes to alternative evaluation, my interviews have led me to believe that the primary substitutes to my product are current mechanical pencils, wooden #2 pencils, ink pens, and an array of technological replacements to writing such as laptops, PCs, iPad’s, etc. My first interviewee described how she chooses which product to use based on the situation, saying that she’s much more likely to use her laptop in content-heavy classes, whereas she’s always using a mechanical pencil when taking hand-written notes for her math classes. I had similar responses in terms of subject determining utensil among my other interviews on this occasion and previously.

Among my three interviews, they all happened to say that they had brought their writing utensil from home and that it was purchased by themselves or a family member in-person never online, at a typical supermarket like Walmart or Publix. My third interview further described how her family tends to load up on school supplies right before the school year (July/August) and that this is when her current ink pens were purchased. My general impression across all three interviews is that they’re quite pleased with the purchases of their pencils/pens but that it’d be rare for them to be unhappy with a similar purchase.

To conclude, I believe the segment I chose to interview is highly interested in the convenience of purchasing and using their respective writing utensils. With that said, I think that they’re not too concerned with the price or effectiveness of their pencils, as the purchases are not thought about too extensively and are most likely not even purchased by themselves.

2 comments:

  1. Jared,
    I enjoyed reading this post a lot, I have enjoyed following along with what the people that you interview have to say about your mechanical pencil product and what their ideas and suggestions are for alternative product. I thought you had a great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jared,

    I think that you did a great job evaluating what your competitors will be doing in comparison to yourself. The people I interviewed also had many of the same responses to my questions. I look forward to seeing how you use this information to continually improve your idea.

    ReplyDelete