Sunday, November 11, 2018

ENT3003 Assignment 23A – Your Venture’s Unfair Advantage

What Makes You So Special?

  • Generate a list of all of the resources in your venture (produce a list of at least 10 resources that you already possess). This can include your human capital, social capital, financial capital, and capabilities. You may also discuss the organizational culture you intend to create (but, obviously, it's not a resource that you have, now.) 

1. I have significant financial capital although below $100,000.
2. Social capital with connection across the University of Florida
3. Connections among businessmen in metropolitan Orlando
4. Social capital with Family and graduate students in the Miami area
5. I hold myself an expected degree from Uf's business school
6. I have the passion and drive to commit 100% to whatever i put my mind to
7. I have housing and support from family
8. Information about my audience gained from ENT3003 course
9. Information about my business idea gained from feedback throughout ENT3003
10. A good business idea that is advanced in it's design

  • Conduct a "VRIN" analysis for each resource. That is, describe, for each resource, how it is valuable, rare, inimitable (how hard it is to copy by others), and non-substitutable (are there other resources that can provide the same benefits?). 

1. This resource is not too rare in the sense anyone CAN have it, and it's not substantial.
2-4. My social capital is quite rare as I know people that most do not, and what I can get from them is much different than what others can.
5-6. These personal factors are all things unique to me and collectively are extremely rare to have my particular passion, support, and education.
8-10. My final points are all based on this course itself and are rare to the extent of only UF students, but others that are in this course or have taken it can compare.

  • After conducting the VRIN analysis, determine what your top resource is. Explain why it's more important to your venture than all of the other resources.

I believe my top resource is my social capital as it's extremely rare and holds more significance, in my opinion, then all the other ones I've listed. I believe this is especially true because of my wide range of connections and ability to benefit from these people. I additionally find myself capable of receiving useful information and support via my social capital.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jared,

    I think you did a good job determining just how important each of your resources are. This can greatly help you in the future when you have to utilize everything that you have to beat your competition. I personally struggled to to the VRIN for some of my resources since it felt like the components of my resources were pretty similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jared,

    Great job coming up with those resources regarding your venture's unfair advantage, specially the ones "social capital with connection across the UF" and "support from your family". I believe that having the support from your loved ones sometimes can be a very powerful tool in order for people accomplish their goals regardless how many times they fall before they succeed. Great post!

    ReplyDelete