Wednesday, September 19, 2018

ENT3003 Assignment 9A – Testing the Hypothesis, Part 2

Continuing My Opportunity Research


Who:

I've learned throughout my previous and more recent interviews that there are a significant portion of people that don't relate with my opportunity even though they share almost all of the same characteristics. I believe this exists because some people that fit the right demographics and lifestyle as a mechanical pencil user choose substitute products that get the same job done. Many of the people I interviewed said they primarily use only their laptops to take notes, quizzes, etc. while others claimed they preferred standard pens/pencils rather than mechanical alternatives.


What:

I believe the need I'm trying to solve is based purely on issues with mechanical pencils and unfortunately I think that need is stopped at mechanical pencils. It appears that through my interviews , Laptop users and Pen/Wooden pencil suers just prefer their own things and are not apart of my audience as much so as people that prefer to use mechanical pencils. 


Why:

The people inside the boundary of my opportunity simply use mechanical pencils, it's seems to me that users of mechanical pencils prefer them to wooden pencils, whereas wooden pencil users are aware of mechanical pencils but choose not to use them under most cirucmstances. When it comes to pencils, it seems that personal preference is the driving cause for most decisions.


             Inside the Boundary:                                       Outside the Boundary:


Who:    High School and college students                     Primarily non-Students and people
             who frequently choose mechanical                   that don't frequently find themselves
             pencils over other substitutes.                           writing using a pencil a lot.

What:   These students wish to have a writing              This opportunity does not solve anything
             utensil that is effective and reliable                   for laptop/computer users, it also doesn't
             while being offered at a cheap price.                benefit the users of substitute products.

Why:    This need is formed from the failures               People don't all have problems with  
             experienced by current mechanical                  their current writing device. Additionally, 
             pencils and the preference of such                   most people are content with the "issues" 
             pencils over pens and wooden pencils.            that my product is hoping to solve.

3 comments:

  1. Jared,
    I think you did a great job on this assignment and blog post! I can see how it would be hard to find a huge majority of people with this need because they might just not know that they have this need right off the bat. However, you did a good job identifying a specific group of people and groups who are outside of the boundary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jared,
    When thinking of a mechanical pencil and people that need it I feel like it definitely is the students that have this need most. I liked how you mentioned that most working adults wouldn’t need this as much due to the computers and laptops. However, I still think that there can be a need for this product for the working class demographic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jared,

    I think you did a good job with your analysis of the three questions. I agree with your assessment of what type of people would want your product, but I think you might be overthinking the opportunity. I would recommend you transition to focusing on B2B as opposed to B2C since you would most likely be selling to large retailers. This way, it is the responsibility of the retailer to sell as opposed to you selling.

    ReplyDelete