Tuesday, August 28, 2018

ENT3003 Assignment 3A – Your Entrepreneurship Story

My Entrepreneurship Story:


There are few times I can recall in my life where I was personally a part of an entrepreneurship endeavor. With that said, I frequently visited my Uncle’s trading card store that he operates and owns himself. As a graduate of UF himself, my uncle was of course very intelligent! He followed his passion for sports by becoming an affiliate of Topps, a popular collectible company, that is known for its Trading Cards in most major sports. With his experience and knowledge of sports and particularly the collectible industry, he opened a store that sells trading cards, memorabilia, and much more. After being in business for as long as I can remember, his store is still going today despite all of the other businesses nearby closing down.

“Roger Clemens” by meg hourihan
is licensed under CC BY-NC 2.0
As his nephew, I always saw my uncle as the coolest guy ever. He owned his own store with several employees, had no wife or children with a house to himself, and personally met hundreds of the biggest sporting stars all while attending the largest sporting events every year. Because of this image my uncle gave off, I’ve always seen entrepreneurship as a luxurious lifestyle that allows you to be the boss and the one receiving all of the riches. However, after learning more about what goes into running a business and learning of the many Myths professor Pryor brought up, I can see that an entrepreneur’s lifestyle isn’t always quite as glamorous as it can appear from the outside.

I enrolled in ENT 3003 because entrepreneurship has always been something that interests me but not something I know a whole lot about. Whether I find a great career or not, I’ve always hoped to have some type of side business that I operate that grows based off how much of my own hard work I put into it. At the conclusion of this course, I hope I understand what goes into owning and operating a successful business, how to initiate the process of starting one, and whether or not I’m prepared to do what it takes to become an entrepreneur.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Jared,
    I thought it was super cool how your uncle was an entrepreneur and you always looked up to him and wanted to be like him. I also think it was great for you that you saw entrepreneurship as a luxurious lifestyle but now know there are so many different things that go into it. I love hearing about people's entrepreneurship stories and how they got involved in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jared,

    I've heard a couple of stories before of people who followed their passion and were able to create their own business out of it, just like your Uncle. It's really nice to hear successful stories like that in order to show us to not give up on what we truly desire.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete